Sunday, March 16, 2008

Communication

Suddenly, one fine day over a phone call and in his characteristic manner of speaking The Teacher asked me, whether during my two years under his tutelage, he had ever been able to communicate with me in class, given his blunt demeanor?

I wanted to say...

That the wisdom spoken by him still rings in my ears...nay...heart.

That it was amazing to discover what 'unlearning' is, under his silent and distant tutelage...

That it has become a habit to question the intent and the action... Boldly.

That it is OK to not know what to do, but it is imperative to have a measure of what NOT to do.

That my design brief has to to achieve that "outside-of-the-box" gesture.

That it is a struggle to make Design a personal endeavour, and thus difficult for oneself.

That despite the trouble and the nerve-racking, Design for me has to be a state of penance.

That I imagine Him across the table even as I hesitate to draw that first line hoping not to hear "kya kar rahe ho, Mr Ganesh!"

That it has become second nature to make pencils caress and not scratch the paper as they leave, because that is how paper and pencil are meant to be treated... especially Derwents.

...and more such things.

BUT

I just said "yes" and stopped.

He likes answers to be crisp, short and in relation to the question. That is another thing he taught us.

No comments:

Post a Comment